The other day I posted about burnout indicating some of the symptoms of what is now officially noted as a disease by the World Health Organization (WHO). Research indicates that the recovery period for burnout takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 years with the average period being 6 to 9 months.
Following is a short list of strategies that address the condition and promote well being:
- Develop a list of self-care processes that may include journaling, meditation, massage, yoga, reading, music, mindfulness, stretching, tai chi, dancing, and breath techniques.
- Assess weekly where you are at in following through on the strategies you have chosen.
- Adjust your list as needed for the upcoming week.
- Detect early signs of deteriorating health then do something about it.
- Make a point of identifying what burnout looks like for you (anger, frustration, exhaustion, etc.).
- When you are feeling overwhelmed, ask for help, delegate tasks, or reset priorities.
What other approaches have you or someone you know used to tackle and recover from burnout? Do let me know I am genuinely interested.
Marie-Helene Sakowski – Business Consultant – Change & Transition – firstname.lastname@example.org.