Awhile ago I posted about burnout indicating some of the symptoms of what is now officially noted as a disease. I have added to the piece by noting that the same self care aspects apply to maintaining strong mental health. Research indicates that the treatment recovery period for burnout and stress factors leading to a mental health concerns take anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 years with the average period being 6 to 9 months.
Following is a short list of strategies that address the conditions and promote well being:
- Develop a list of self-care processes that may include journaling, meditation, massage, yoga, reading, music, mindfulness, stretching, tai chi, dancing, and breath techniques.
- Assess weekly where you are at in following through on the strategies you have chosen.
- Adjust your list as needed for the upcoming week.
- Detect early signs of deteriorating health then do something about it.
- Make a point of identifying what burnout looks like for you (anger, frustration, exhaustion, etc.).
- When you are feeling overwhelmed, ask for help, delegate tasks, or reset priorities.
What other approaches do you know of to recover?
Marie-Helene Sakowski – Business Consultant – Change & Transition – firstname.lastname@example.org.